Freitag, 6. August 2021

 

tale 83 the old monkey tells his tale 8

Written by Rainer: rainer.lehrer@yahoo.com

Learn languages (via Skype): Rainer: + 36 20 549 52 97 or + 36 20 334 79 74

------------------------------

 

The old monkey tells his tale 8

 

After calming down and processing the past, with which solitude helps, comes the awakening, or better yet, the realization.

Without the presence of other monkeys, there is no one against which the boundaries of personality can be expressed. The monkey determines himself in relation to its social environment. If this does not exist, the “I” is a flowing mass. Robinson Monkey had probably just forgotten who he was after twenty-three years on his island.

Fine! I had processed what had happened, knew what I didn't want, but was far from being able to say what should correspond to my wishes. A monkey can only wish what he can imagine, that is, what he has already grasped or touched in some form or shape with his own senses. He cannot invent so many new things, they have to be shown to him. And then, he is able to put the pieces back together differently.

Therefore, I needed new ideas. So one morning after a good night's sleep, I set out to climb the highest peak in order to choose a direction. A small leather pouch lined with animal intestines served as a water container and another leather pouch was filled with dried fish, fruits and grains. The sun was shining, a wandering monkey could not have wished for better conditions. Again and again, I looked around and it seemed to me that somewhere behind me in the distance the rough outlines were coming together to form real memories.

Again a green carpet lay in front of me, which meant a day with a lot of forest. Drums could be heard in the distance. These were struck rhythmically. As I got closer, I saw a high priest standing at the end of a long bamboo staircase. He wore a brightly coloured ring on his head. The sun behind him shone right through this hoop, so he raised his arms. “See the glory of the banana god!” he shouted. Everyone below looked at the sun, which naturally blinded them. Behind them the drums sounded louder, from time to time something hit a metal plate, producing a bright sound. The monkeys were hypnotized.

From my bushes, I could see several of them from the side in the face. They knelt at the foot of the stairs with open eyes and expressionless faces. Where was I now? There was a clown up there on the stairs, making some kind of hocus-pocus and the stupid monkeys let themselves be enchanted. A young monkey girl got up and walked slowly up the stairs as if in a trance. She actually seemed to float. When she reached the top, she put down the tray with fried bananas and came down again. Then the next girl went up with a mug. It went like this three or four more times. When the sun had left the coloured ring, everyone woke up and slowly disappeared into the forest.

I crept quietly around the hill and found the high priest who was enjoying the food. I went up to him. He wasn't very surprised to see me. “I already saw you in the tree. Sit down, eat and tell me where you are from!” I did as I was advised, but preferred to ask him a few questions. I had the feeling that he could probably tell me more than I could truly tell him. He watched me for a moment and seemed to be very happy that he finally didn't have to listen, but could share his worries. "I am grateful to you that you are interested in learning something and that you pay me your attention." and with these words he began his story.

Many years ago he had been voted the brightest. He should hold judgment, rule for everyone, and guide them. Everyone knew that he ate the food for the banana god, but they wanted to live in a simple way, like in paradise, in comfortable stupidity. And for that they needed someone who thought for them. There were different periods of time during his reign. Sometimes he was very ambitious and let them build something for the common good. When he was fed up, he was a tyrant. He admitted that it was difficult to always react calmly to all nonsense. Sometimes he was gripped by megalomania and then he really believed he was a god. It is not easy to always have a grip on yourself when there is no one who criticizes you from time to time, gives you his or her opinion. Above all, however, he felt punished because he was alone, had no family, and actually couldn't enjoy his own life. In order to be honoured by everyone, he had to forego the simplicity of existence. "Wouldn't it be better to teach them?" I gasped. He had already tried that too, but then gave it up because it was even more tiring. And so, he spent his time watching his people, choosing one to take over power after his death. So far, however, no suitable candidate had been found. “Maybe you are too good to them? When they experience what a selfish god you are, they will want to take their fate into their own hands.” “ Do I have to make them hate me? Hm! Wouldn't you like to play God?” He probably believed that he had found in me the good-natured monkey who would one day enable his people to continue their carefree life. I had seen a lot by then, but I had not been God yet. For a few moons, I stayed hidden behind a bush at the court days and similar meetings and afterwards the high priest and I discussed what to do in this or that case.

He certainly noticed that I was an interested and considered advisor, but that it would bore me too much in the long term. And so, he asked me one morning: “I see it in your eyes, it pushes you on. You have a good heart, but the role of a god would drive you crazy sooner or later.” He slung the bags of water and food over my shoulder and smiled sadly, turned and went back to the temple. “A wise monkey!” I thought, he had taught me a lot and was able to read the minds of others. “A worthy god!” But an exception among the gods.

A new mountain lay in front of me.

 

Continue with tale 84!

 

-----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------

Back to Hungarian portal!

Back to English portal!

Back to German portal!

Back to Spanish portal!

Back to French portal!

Back to Russian portal!

 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen